Dr. Shawn T. Joseph
MBBS, MS (ENT), DNB (ENT), MCh (Head & Neck Surgery)
Dr. Shawn did his MBBS from Government Medical College, Calicut. He did his post graduation in ENT from BJ Medical College and Civil Hospital, He passed the MS (ENT) examination with first rank from Gujarat University. Dr Shawn went on to do Post Doctoral Certified Training in Surgical Oncology and Senior Residency in Surgical Oncology from Tata Memorial Centre, Mumbai, which is considered the apex cancer institute in India. After this he did MCh in Head and Neck Surgery from Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, where he was trained in Micro vascular reconstruction of Head and Neck.
Highly advanced surgery for cancer of larynx which involves conservative surgical resection and Micro vascular reconstruction to preserve voice was performed for the first time in India at Lakeshore Hospital, under his leadership.
His area of interest includes minimally invasive surgeries of larynx and skull base.
- Life member of Indian Medical Association
- Life member of Foundation for Head and Neck Oncology
- Life member Skull Base Society of India
- Life member Indian Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery
- Member of Association of Otolaryngologists of India, Cochin, Kerala
- Affiliate member, AOCMF
- First rank with GOLD MEDAL in Master of Surgery (Otorhinolaryngology) from Gujarat University in 2007.
- Interrnational Travel Grant from the Department of Science and Technology, May 2012.
- Won award at the AOI, Gujarat State Branch Conference,2006 for the study ´ENDOSCOPIC REPAIR OF CEREBROSPINAL FLUID RHINORRHOEA: A STUDY´
During the residency program in ENT, conducted a study on the uses of Laser in laryngeal surgeries. The study was submitted as thesis to the Gujarat University and was accepted in 2007.
- Shawn T. Joseph, Shetty Sharankumar, C.J. Sandya, Vidhyadharan Sivakumar, Peter Sherry, Thankappan Krishnakumar, Iyer Subramania. Easy and Safe Method for Facial Nerve Identification in Parotid Surgery. J Neurol Surg( Skull Base), May 2015.
- Joseph ST, Thankappan K, Buggaveeti R, Sharma M, Mathew J, Iyer S. Challenges in the reconstruction of bilateral maxillectomy defects. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015 Feb;73(2):349-56.
- Shawn. T. Joseph, Krishnakumar Thankappan, Mathew J, Sharma M, Manju V, Subramania Iyer. The Defect Components and Reconstructive Options in Composite Orbito-maxillary Defects with Orbital Exenteration. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (In Press Accepted Manuscript; May, 2014).
- Shawn. T. Joseph, Krishnakumar Thankappan, Rahul Buggaveeti, Subramania Iyer. Pneumosinus Dilatans helping Sub-cranial Resection in a Patient with Advanced Ethmoid Malignancy. Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstr. 2015 Sep;8(3):218-20.
- Joseph ST, Aravind T, Iyer S, Thankappan K. Comment on "A novel tumor: Specimen index for assessing adequacy of resection in early stage oral tongue cancer" by Montero PH, Palmer FL, Shuman AG et al. [Oral Oncol 2014;50(3):213-20]. Oral Oncol. 2014 Apr 20.
- Shawn T. Joseph, Krishnakumar Thankappan, Subramania Iyer, Reconstruction of a Combined Maxillectomy and Segmental Mandibulectomy Defect in a Seven-Year- Old with a Single Free Fibula Osteocutaneous Flap. Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstruction. Accepted January, 2016
- Shawn T Joseph, Aliasgar V Moiyadi, Deepa Nair, Prashant V Pawar, Prathamesh S Pai. Special Considerations in Esthesioneuroblastoma of Sphenoclival Region. . International Journal of Head and Neck Surgery, September-December 2012: 3(3): 158-162.
- Shawn T Joseph, Aliasgar V Moiyadi, Prathamesh S Pai, Deepa Nair. Schwannomas along Different Segments of Facial Nerve: Case Series with Review of Literature. International Journal of Head and Neck Surgery, May- August 2011: 2(2): 103-108
- Shawn T Joseph, Neena H Bhalodiya, Ratnadeep Ghosh. Simultaneous Cerebrospinal fluid otorrhea and rhinorrhea as a cause of recurrent meningitis in a patient with cochlear dysplasia. European Journal of Pediatrics, March 2012.
- R Vishwakarma, T Joseph Shawn.Cochlear Implant in Cogan´s syndrome (Original Review article); European Archives of Oto- Rhino- Laryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, 1121-1124, Oct 2006.
- T Joseph Shawn, R Vishwakarma, MK Ramani, R Aurora. Cochlear implant and delayed facial palsy( Original Review). Cochlear Implant International (Official journal of the British Cochlear Implant Group), Feb, 2009.
- R Vishwakarma, More Yogesh, T Joseph Shawn. Incudostapedial joint arthroplasty using temporalis fascia/perichondrium ties; American Journal of Otolaryngology, 171-175, May 2009.
- N H Bhalodiya, T J Shawn. CSF Rhinorrhoea: Endoscopic Repair Based On A Combined Diagnostic Approach; Indian Journal of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery; 120-126, June 2009.
- R Vishwakarma, T Joseph Shawn, Arpit Sharma, Rahul C Gupta. Endoscopic Removal of Sharp Foreign Bodies in Neck Using Image Intensified Television. International Journal of Head and Neck Surgery, May- August 2010: 1(2): 113- 116.
- R Vishwakarma, TJ Shawn. Giant Frontal Osteoma: Case report with review of literature; Indian Journal of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery. 2011, Volume 63, Supplement 1, Pages 122-126.
- N H Bhalodiya, N Singh, Shawn T Joseph:Microdebrider in ENT; Gujarat Journal of otorhinolaryngology and head and neck surgery: 2, 1: 5
- Joseph, S. T; Rajapurkar, M.; Thankappan, K.; CS. Sampathirao, L. M.; Kuriakose, M. Abraham; Iyer, S. Oncological and Functional Outcome of the Preserved Eye in Malignant Sinonasal Tumors (Conference abstract). Journal of Neurological Surgery Part B: Skull Base; Issue S 02, 2012
- Joseph, S. T.; Thankappan, K.; Sampathirao, L. M. C.; Mathew, J.; Sharma, M.; Iyer, S.Orbital Exenteration Defect Reconstruction: Options and Outcome (Conference abstract) Journal of Neurological Surgery Part B: Skull Base; Issue S 02, 2012
- Thankappan, K.; Sampathirao, L. M. C.; Sharma, M.; Joseph, S. T.; Iyer, S. Orbital Floor Reconstruction with Free Flaps after Maxillectomy (Conference abstract)Journal of Neurological Surgery Part B: Skull Base; Issue S 02, 2012
- Thankappan, K.; Duraisamy, S.; Iyer, S.; Kuriakose, M. A.; Joseph, S. T. Craniofacial Resection for Malignant Paranasal Sinus Tumors: A Single-Center Experience (Conference abstract). Journal of Neurological Surgery Part B: Skull Base; Issue S 02, 2012
- Shawn T. Joseph, Krishnakumar Thankappan, B Rahul, Sharankumar Shetty, L.M. Chandarasekhara Rao, Moni A. Kuriakose, Subramania Iyer. Reconstruciton of bilateral maxillectomy defect (Conference abstract). OP036, Oral Oncology - 1 May 2013 (Vol. 49, Supplement 1, Pages S17-S18)
Papers presented in international conferences
- ´Combined Modality treatment in advanced cancers of larynx and hypopharynx: site wise differences in survival outcomes´ at the World Congress on Larynx Cancer conducted at Cairns, Queensland, Australia, 26-30 July, 2015.
- ´Orbital exenteration defect reconstruction: options and outcome´ at the 6th International Congress of the World Federation of Skull Base Societies and 10th European Skull Base Society Congress, 16-19 May, 2012, Brighton, UK.
- ´Oncological and functional outcome of preserved eye in malignant sinonasal tumours´ at the 6th International Congress of the World Federation of Skull Base Societies and 10th European Skull Base Society Congress, 16-19 May, 2012, Brighton, UK.
- ´Reconstruction of bilateral maxillectomy defect´ at the 4th World Congress of the International Academy of Oral Oncology, Rhodes Island, Greece, 15-18 May, 2013
Extra curricular achievements: Individual champion in annual arts festival during his school and Medical College period.