Dr. Jacob Varghese
Senior Consultant & HOD, Director Of Orthopedic Center & Department of Joint Replacement & Sports Medicine
MBBS, MS.(Orth), M.Ch (Orth)
Dr. Jacob Varghese is one of the most experienced with almost three decades of experience and is a pioneer in the field of Joint Replacement & Sports Injuries in Kerala. He did his graduation and post graduation from Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore University. He went on to do MCh in Orthopaedics from University of Liverpool. He received upper limb Fellowship from Writington, NHS Trust Wigan UK.
He is well-known for his clinical and surgical decision making skills. He has conducted thousands of surgeries which includes arthroscopies, arthroplasties, redo’s, Minimally Invasive Joint replacement surgeries like meniscal repair and replacement as well as autologous cartilage implantation.
Dr. Jacob was the first surgeon to start revision joint replacement and performed the FIRST Arthroscopic surgery in shoulder, elbow and wrist disorders in the state. He has the largest series of biological ACL and revision ACL and multi-ligament reconstructions in the state among the pioneers in primary and revision joint replacement in the country. The success rates of Dr. Jacob Varghese in cases of joint replacement surgery in kerala are comparable to any other surgeon in the world.
Dr. Jacob has published numerous articles in peer-reviewed journals.
- Surgical management of sports injuries and arthritis of knee joint with special emphasis on cartilage repair, isolated and multi- ligament reconstruction
- Primary and revision knee replacement and ligament reconstruction
- Primary and revision hip joint replacement
- Arthroscopic surgery of shoulder, elbow and wrist.
- Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital- Did a 4 year rotation based out from RJAH hospital where in he was trained in Arthoplasty and Sport Medicine
- North Staffordshire Royal Infirmary and Hartshill Orthopaedic Hospital- Trauma and Arthroplasty
- Wrexham Maelor Hospital- General Orthopaedics
- Kasturba Medical College- General Orthopedic
- Trichur Medical College- General Orthopaedics
Past appointments as a consultant adult reconstruction unit at Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences with an arthroscopy and arthroplasty fellowship from 2000 to 2007 Senior Consultant and Head of unit of sports injuries-Khoula Hospital, Oman Visiting Consultant- Aster Hospital Ghobra .Oman Locum Consultant, North Stafforshire University Hospital Blog- knee-replacement.india.blogspot.com
Memberships in Medical Society
- Asia Pacific arthroplasty Association
- ISAKOS, International society of arthroscopy.knee surgery
- International member-American academy of orthopaedic surgeons
- International cartilage research society
- AHKS American association of Hip and knee surgeons
- Asian Federation of Sports Medicine
- Indian Orthopaedic Association
- Indian arthroscopy society